I’m a huge Transformers fan and by all means have read the good along with the bad. From Marvel to Dreamwave and some little guys in between, we have been through a variety of publishers. With IDW Publishing at the reigns it’s been one hell of a ride navigating the all encompassing Transformers universe. What I have found over the years is what you find with any publisher and that is things get rebooted over and over. However with every reboot comes repetition and stagnation in overall plot. With this unfortunate outcome all that you are left with are the artistry renditions of the imaginative mind trapped in box with the same old content and stories. IDW Publishing initially went down this road, never really expanding the universe nor the characters that grace it. However with John Barber and James Roberts that has all changed and the ever exciting, ever expanding Transformers universe seems to be heating up with every issue. In this event we experience what is to become a rather large game changer in the historical significance of Galvatron, Alpha Trion, and Nova Prime. Yeah, Nova has been played so much already yet with ever mention of the famous bots name, he just gets so much more intriguing to read about.
So much has happened in both series of Transformers: Robots in Disguise (Now just Transformers) and Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye that I feel so damn giddy. Can you believe it John and James, you made a grown man giddy…so keep up the good work!
Combiner Wars Reading Order:
INTRO: Optional Reading
Transformers – Robots in Disguise #30
There is just a short flashback of Cybertron 10 million years ago at a time of the first Cybertronian civil war. We are brought back to the battle of Aegiax where we are introduced to a much different version of Galvatron. We see a brief scene of the mighty Galvatron hack his way through bots of the Nexus Prime clan. This is where he first meets Alpha Trion.
Transformers – Robots in Disguise #34
In Transformers #34 we witness a story told by Alpha Trion after Optimus and his fellow bots rescue him from his imprisonment at a secret military installation on Earth. We are told the truth about the end of the Primes and how Nova was allowed to take up the name Prime. This was by far one of the best history lessons I have had in a long while that involved the Transformers universe. We already know that Galvatron had laid waste to Nexus Prime and his army of combiners. What we fans learn next is how Galvatron meets the future Nova Prime, while Nova defends the Citadel of Light against Nexus Prime’s ally Onyx Prime’s horde of beasts bots. This is a must book to read prior to the Combiner Wars.
By the way I was able to get Andrew Griffith to sign a bunch of covers, along with Livio Ramondelli. The above Transformers Robots in Disguise #34 cover was one of them. He did an amazing job on Galvatron!
MAIN EVENT: Combiner Wars
In our main event I’ve selected the subscription covers all done by Livio Ramondelli because he’s a badass artist. The two epilogue retailer incentive covers are by Naoto Tsushima.
- Transformers Windblade Combiner Wars #1 Variant Livio Ramondelli Subscription Cover (Combiner Wars Part 1)
- Transformers Vol 3 #40 Variant Livio Ramondelli Subscription Cover (Combiner Wars Part 2)
- Transformers Windblade Combiner Wars #2 Variant Livio Ramondelli Subscription Cover (Combiner Wars Part 3)
- Transformers Vol 3 #41 Variant Livio Ramondelli Subscription Cover (Combiner Wars Part 4)
- Transformers Windblade Combiner Wars #3 Variant Livio Ramondelli Subscription Cover (Combiner Wars Part 5)
- Transformers Vol 3 #42 Incentive Naoto Tsushima Variant Cover (Combiner Wars Epilogue)
- Transformers Windblade Combiner Wars #4 Incentive Naoto Tsushima Variant Cover (Combiner Wars Epilogue)
ADDITIONAL: Combiner Hunters
- Transformers Combiner Hunters Special One Shot Variant Livio Ramondelli Subscription